The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side

Oh Canada! How wonderful of a nation you are allowing universal healthcare just a 40 minute car ride away. Although I believe that health care is a human right, that is not the case for everyone and this belief system does come with its downfalls. When I was in the beauty of the great north, I complained left and right about the wait times of our healthcare without understanding that the reason  why. It took me a while to realize that a minimum of a 4 hour wait in the ER was because everyone that has any injury is allowed to request medical attention. Now this does come with a negative, because there are times where those that are not actually ill are taking up the time of the physicians and nurses. But tell me this: "Why is it so hard to appreciate what you have until it is gone?"
It has been such a crazy experience for me to be integrated into the exclusive and shiny health system over in the United States. I have had the privilege of touring hospitals and private practices from glorious Michigan Medicine, to offices in Beverly Hills.
- The wait times? just as long, if not longer.
-The prices?? Holy smokes ten times higher, if not more, for things so necessary for life and used everyday such as insulin, inhalers, epipens.
It blew my mind to know that just because a doctor has their own private practice and 1400 google reviews with 2million instagram followers that means...they provide good health care. Although this is not excluded to the USA but rather a generational experience of healthcare, how is this possibly logical?
So I ask myself, and I ask you all, how can basic daily necessities, things that are required for survival, cost SO much? Why is accessing health care in USA so stinking hard?!
Now that I have been in the states long enough and exposed myself to the belly of the American health system, I can officially say the grass truly is greener on the other side of the Detroit river, at least it is when pertaining to healthcare (unless it just snowed).

Comments