Antibiotic Resistance



A major health concern for now as well for the future is regarding the use of antibiotics. Lately in Medchem we have been talking about this topic, so I wanted to give some of my personal experiences as well as some information on the topic. While these medications are extremely important and effective, it is undeniably true that they are misused. A direct consequence of their treatment being excessively used is known as antibiotic resistance.  This is, as defined by the World Health Organization, “the ability of a microorganism, like bacteria, to stop an antimicrobial from working against it.”  As a result, standard treatments become ineffective, infections persist and may spread to others. The WHO is currently naming this one of the biggest emerging global health problems.


So how does antibiotic resistance occur? Darwin’s theory of natural selection is a great way to explain it. Individuals with traits better suited to their environments will survive and reproduce, thus all their offspring will contain the same hereditary traits. So, when we take an antibiotic and kill off 99% of the bacteria, it is the select few that survive and reproduce, passing on those traits that enabled the original select few to survive and becoming resistant to the antibiotic medication. One of the main reasons why this can occur in humans is due to the misuse of antibiotic prescriptions.


So why are there so many antibiotic prescriptions? One of the biggest reasons I think this happens is because of profit. Providers are trying to see as many patients as possible in order to make the most money. And if they decide to not give their patients antibiotics and not make them happy? Those patients are likely to go elsewhere to get them anyways. As a direct consequence of this, physicians are overprescribing antibiotics. There is lack of knowledge about the subject with the population, as I think patients believe that if they have any sort of infection whatsoever that an antibiotic is necessary, and they will not be happy until they get one. I have seen this firsthand with my parents. Growing up, every time they got sick, they would tell me they needed a ‘z-pak’ and nothing else will help them feel better. According to recent studies, 1 in 3 prescriptions for antibiotics are unnecessary, and patients are even willing to lie to get a medication they do not need! Growing up, I remember my mother would tell me to ask the doctor for an antibiotic anytime I was sick, no matter what I was sick with as they always worked. I didn’t really know better at the time, so I did as I was told.


In addition to providers overprescribing, it has been discovered that many patients do not follow simple prescription instructions. Some patients believe that once they are starting to feel better, they can simply stop taking the medication. This could not be further from true. In fact, only 68% of patients finished their course of antibiotics, and it was found that 25% of patients intentionally save part of the antibiotic course for future use!  This is exactly what leads to antibiotic resistance! Again, I have seen this firsthand growing up. I would find antibiotics around the house that were unfinished, with my parents saying “oh it already made me feel better so I stopped taking it” or “I am saving some for the next time I get sick.” Oh boy, how wrong they were.


My last thought of this problem is that simply most patients and adults in general are simply unaware of the problem. There is a lack of education regarding the manner and I believe that the topic needs to be talked about more before it is too late.

Comments